Thursday, July 9, 2009

To Swaddle or Not to Swaddle?

Let me start off by saying that just when I think I have this parenting thing figured out something happens that makes it very clear that I don't. As I type this my precious little man is in his crib with nothing but his pacifier trying desperately to go to sleep. Just when he thinks he is there it seems as though his arms betray him as they swing about recklessly. Let me explain...usually Caleb is swaddled with his arms snuggled in by his side when it is time for sleeping of any kind because he likes that. However, last night I was in his room three times re-swaddling him because he is now strong enough to push his arms out of the bottom and move the blanket up...a position that can't be comfortable at all! Also, let's face it it isn't safe either. So today is the day that Caleb will "learn" to sleep without the comfort of his swaddling blanket....I hope! Please know that it is taking everything in me not to go in there, pick him up, and rock him to sleep. I fear that will only lead to another bad habit. My mother in law told me that it takes three days to make a habit and three days to break one. Here's to a long three days. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there girl. I know it is tough now but you will be so happy you did it in the long run. He may be mad right now, but they are always happy to see mommy when they wake up.

    ReplyDelete